Sunday, April 04, 2010

Happy Easter

Happy Easter! I'm up early I was awakened by the sound of "salubong" (traditional Easter welcome), fireworks and drum and lire band that passed our street. I went out to see the event from the terrace I had a slight view of the procession. "Salubong" is an Easter Sunday pre-dawn ritual that reenacts the risen Christ's meeting with his mother. It is performed in the churchyard under a specially prepared arch where the veiled image of the Virgin Mary has been placed. A child dressed as an angel is lowered by ropes from a high platform to lift the mourning veil of the grieving mother. The church bells are rung, and there is a procession of the images of christ and his mother that ends up inside the church. The participants in the procession are segregated by gender. The men and boys follow the image of jesus christ, while women and girls follow the image of mary. The procession ends with the two groups meeting in the church, where mass is said. The last Salubong i've seen was back when I was a kid so I couldn't tell if anything changed through the years. I mean it's a tradition but Filipinos like to modernized eveeything so who knows?

Climate change is getting worse, after Typhoon Ondoy now comes El Nino. Summer is sooo getting into my nerves! I'm not used to sleeping without blankets but the heat is unbearable especially during my time to sleep in the afternoon. It's such a pain having to force myself to sleep everyday so I started taking "Sleepasil" few days ago to aid me to sleep but it's not a sleeping pill so it's not intended to make you sleep for as long as you want I still can't get the deep sleep that I want. My workmate attended a "sleep clinic" at work I got free sleeping pill samples so she tried it and told me that she got a real good sleep she almost got late for work she won't wake up not until her roomate come knocking at her door trying to wake her up. I'm not insomniac but lately I've been having difficulty sleeping. Sure I want a good sleep but I want to be able to wake up in case of emergency. All drugs have good and bad side effects so they have to be taken in moderation especially without a doctor's prescription because these drugs pass through our system we have to be careful of what we take. A slight relief may have long term side effects.



No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...