Monday, March 29, 2010

Earth Hour

Earth hour was observed last Saturday, March 27 by switching off lights at 8:30PM. It may be of little or no effort at all but I strongly believe that if people contribute in doing little things together we can make a huge difference. According to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) that the switch-off at 8:30PM on March 27 will be the highlight of Earth Hour which has been observed in the last three years. Moreso, they quoted on their website that “the switch-off signifies the start of a very personal and lasting lifestyle change to minimize our ecological impacts and to do our bit for a more sustainable planet. Personal pledges can take many forms, from upgrading to energy-efficient appliances to planting and stewarding a small grove of native trees." As of 7:30PM last Thursday, some 1,041 Philippine cities and towns have confirmed participation. This is a proof that it's not too late to save our thriving planet because there's nothing like it out there.

Yesterday was Palm Sunday which marks the beginning of holy week. Unfortunately its been years since I've attended Palm Sunday so I haven't been able to witness the blessing of "Palaspas," these are decorative palm fronds that are part of the catholic celebration of Palm Sunday in the Philippines. They are brought to the church to be blessed as part of the Palm Sunday mass and waved as the priest enters the church, in commemoration of Jesus Christ's entry into Jerusalem. Several beliefs have been associated with the Palaspas but the most popular being the use of the sacred Palaspas as a talisman (amulet) to ward off evil. Philippines is the only predominantly Christian country in Asia, appproximately 85% Christian (mostly Roman Catholic), 10% Muslim and 5% 'other' religions including the Taoist-Buddhist so that clearly explains why Filipinos among other countries strictly observe holy week in fact Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are part of our legal holidays. For some people, holy week is a good time for weekend getaways but not for me. I think it's a good time to spend quiet time at home and pray plus I'm on a tight budget. I'm on leave today but I didn't box as originally planned I just feel like I'm in dire need of rest I have shift. Stressed out.

No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...