Sunday, May 16, 2021

Empowered Consumerism: Legit or Scam?


Homebased, chat-based, copy-paste, script provided, students/full-timers/part-timers all welcome, earn 3-5k a week....too good to be true? I know, very promising indeed especially if you need ways to earn money during the pandemic. You might have come across these type of advertisements on Facebook and to be honest, it is rather interesting because it seem like a piece of cake plus you get to earn without leaving the comforts of your own home. 

I must admit that I also got curious just like most people, also because I have chat support experience both office based and home based so I thought it wouldn't hurt if I give it a shot and see what the fuzz is all about. To make the long story short, I signed up for it. I was asked to provide basic information like my name, address and contact number (I did not disclose my real name and complete address by the way for security reasons). I was provided a webinar schedule (simply put, it's just as simple as an online or web-based seminar) and a link to a certain Facebook group that I needed to have access to so I can attend the webinar on the given date and time. I attended the webinar as I was supposed to. As a protocol prior to the start of the webinar, you have to provide the name of the person who endorsed you which everyone did. The facilitator was presentable, he did the usual check to ensure that everyone can see and hear him clearly. I'm lucky to have fast Internet at home so I did not experience any lag at all. The facilitator set the expectation that the webinar will last for an hour and a half and did a little introduction of himself as well as the company he represent. He talked about "empowered consumerism" which I think I've heard before. There were proofs of how legit the company is, as well as testimonials from those people who made it big. Everything was just so promising and convincing. The webinar was not boring at all because it was spoken in the vernacular. Everyone was glued to the littlest details. Let's just be honest, if it has something to do with money, who would wanna miss a thing right? Everything was pretty straightforward but within the course of the webinar, I started having doubts as to how something with very little effort can let you earn so much? They say that it is not a job so it's not for people who are looking for one but it is a simple task for those who are willing to work hard. I told myself, how is this even possible? 


I worked 13 years in various BPO industries but did not earn as much as these people did. I was almost willing to give it a go and waited until almost the end of the webinar only to find out that, of all the 1k plus attendees, only 200 will be given a chance and in order to qualify, you have to pay almost 9 grand to be given an account number where you will have access to all your future earnings. I told myself maybe this was the catch after all. It was kind of disappointing, at least in my opinion, because the reason why you are looking for ways to earn more is because you needed money which means that shelling out money is out of the question. 


So what exactly is "empowered consumerism"? When I Googled it, this definition came up:

"The empowered consumer has used information technology to shift the balance of power away from sellers and towards themselves, allowing unprecedented price and choice control. ... Rather, it is a change in consumers' expectations about their interactions with suppliers and partners."

I am totally not against finding ways to earn especially if it helps uplift the quality of lives of our countrymen especially when times are tough however, please be reminded that whatever it is that you are willing to invest, bear in mind that there are no guarantees and nothing comes easy though it may seem like it. 

 

So, is "empowered consumerism" legit or scam? You be the judge.


No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...