Sunday, September 04, 2005

National Geographic Special: Big Cat Crisis


"Could a 500-pound tiger be living next door to you? Is America is in the midst of a big cat crisis? It's a problem that some belief has exploded in recent years as thousands of private individuals acquire large, exotic felines as pets, unaware of the amount of care these animals require. There are now an estimated 15,000 tigers, lions and other big cats in backyard and basement cages across America. For some people, big cats can provide the irresistible thrill of being close to a piece of the wild, but inexperienced owners learn the hard way that these predators cannot be domesticated. NGC examines both sides in this powerful and emotionally-charged debate over private ownership of big cats, asking who, if anyone, should possess this piece of the wild."


I've always been a cat lover since I was a kid. I remember back then I even wanted to own a cub, yeah a baby tiger would you believe it? Because they're real cute and cuddly, so helpless and innocent looking like there is no way they can harm you... not until they've grown into humongous and furious cats. 


I've watched this Nat Geo episode a couple of times already but I like to watch it over and over again. Imagine these cubs being sold at an affordable prize anyone can own one or more or as many as they an owner can manage. Sadly, not all owners are able to cope with these animals' basic needs, in the end, these poor creatures suffer and eventually die due to insufficient care. I think the crisis on domesticating tigers is getting alarming because not all 50 states in the USA are implementing the law regarding legal ownership of these wild animals that gives any ordinary individual the freedom to own one or more of these huge cats.


No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...