Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Food Trippin' in Baguio

I love exploring places and food and what I learned about living in Baguio is that you will never run out of good, artsy places to go to enjoy good eats. 

Good Taste menu

When I was still based in Manila I occasionally visit Baguio for vacation because where else can you find all sorts of ukay-ukay (second-hand items) stuff and lots of coffee shops everywhere but here. It must be the weather that's why in every corner of Baguio, you will find coffee shops that not just serve coffee and bread but also rice meals, porridge, noodles, etc. at an affordable price. When I was a kid my dad brought me and my siblings to this local restaurant by the marketplace called Rainbow Cafe (Kayang Street Located at the public market). I had my first taste of their bestseller Rainbow Rice here which consist of Chopsuey rice with lots of fresh vegetables, a slice of lechon and steamed chicken. Oh boy, the serving was huge! It left me a happy tummy that I will never forget so I told myself that the city of pines has more to offer. If you miss homecooked meals, drop by anytime at the very popular Good Taste (Otek Street near Burnham Park). It is open 24/7 I remember my sister and I come here for breakfast in the wee hours of the morning after work. Rice meals are considerably cheap. Food is served with huge portions of fresh veggies. You will realize that fast food is nothing but junk if you come here often but make sure you are really hungry because you will really end up stuffed. I love their fried rice, chicken fillet, blue lemonade, and cream puff if you want something for dessert.

OMG at Oh My Gulay!

My sister and I are very much into artsy places but are also into healthy food so every once in while we drop by at Oh My Gulay (La Azotea, Session Road) to savor their tasty salads. I came across OMG as a tourist many years ago. I like to Google places to visit before I go on vacation and OMG is listed as one of the most interesting places to eat in Baguio. I always make sure that I have an itinerary to follow so everything's organized when I'm there and this definitely topped my list. If you're into nature-inspired art and organic food you will find this place really interesting and if you still haven't had enough of OMG, check out Ili Likha and Cafe Cueva (both in Assumption Road) too.

Ili-Likha with the resident ginger cat
Cafe Cueva

For chocolate lovers and cacao advocates, savor a cup of bitter-sweet rich hot chocolate at "Choco-Late de Batirol" (inside Camp John Hay). Make sure to try their "Turon De Langka and pair this up with any traditional blend of your choice. I had strawberry whilst my sister picked the cinnamon flavor and both are equally delicious. 

Choco-Late de Batirol's Turon de Langka a
nd strawberry traditional blend choco


Grumpy Joe's Combo A: Chicken, Spaghetti, 
Fries, and Pizza



Western food is everywhere too so why not try "Grumpy Joe" (Leonard Road). The place is not very spacious especially for a large group but the food tastes good and the price is quite reasonable.


Ozark's Dark Beer Cheesecake and Chicken BBQ sandwich
Whenever my siblings and I like to catch up, we go to random places so when a friend of mine at work recommended Ozark, (2 Bear's Trail, corner Bareng Drive) even if this is right in the middle of nowhere we took effort to find it. I was surprised when we got there because there is no one else but us. No reservations needed, a table and good food awaits. This is a perfect place to chit chat and relax. The day we came happened to be my niece's 19th birthday. so we decided to pig out and enjoy their South American food. You can sit comfortably while enjoying the soothing view of pine trees and school field. My (pulled) chicken BBQ sandwich is super tasty, served with generous portions of fries and Ozark iced tea. Also, never miss out to try their bestseller Dark Beer cheesecake.


Canto's Half Slab Lomo Back Ribs is heaven 

I'm not a fan of jam-packed places but if you're craving for lomo back ribs cooked at its finest, head over to Canto and you will never regret a thing. The place is crowded for the most part so don't take your chances and reserve a table for you and your family or friends to make sure that you will not end up disappointed. I just didn't like the noise especially if you will spend dinner there plus there's not much privacy I noticed that tables are too close to each other. 

Chaya




For Japanese food lovers, Chaya is a good place to dine but not for walk-in clients since they have limited tables. It's like a house converted into a fine dining resto. I'm not really into Japanese food but I did like their tasty Chicken Teriyaki salad and green tea ice cream sampler which is served free after your meal. To be honest and in my experience, don't attempt to come here without a car although the parking space is also very limited because it will take you forever to get a cab home especially in the afternoon too so I find it not very convenient.


The lovely walls of Hillside Station
After scouring books at Mt. Cloud better check out Hillstation (Casa Vallejo, Upper Session Road) too. This is cozy place serve vegetarian yet tasty sandwiches. For non-vegetable lovers they thought that vegan food lack flavor but that is no longer true since most vegan dishes nowadays aside from healthy are flavorful just like the "vegetarian panini" I ordered. I thought I was eating smoked beef and not eggplant because the taste is quite deceiving it's like not eating a vegan sandwich at all.


My Vegetarian Panini 


That's pretty much it for now. I'm still in the hunt for cool places to go and I will definitely keep looking. Any suggestions? 





No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...