Friday, April 29, 2011

Birthday Holiday

Home alone. It's been raining more often for the past few days here in Bright Hill. Thank God it didn't rain on my birthday, April 27 or I'd be really disappointed. Twin sissy and I heard mass at the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, strolled along the Esplanade and had a sumptous dinner at the Makansutra Glottons Bay. I had quite a few people who remember and greeted me on my birthday I'm glad to know that I still have friends. 

We're caretakers of the house as of the moment. The Pinoy couple who own the house we're renting paid a visit to their loved ones in the Philippines and will be back next week. We were informed that we have a new lady housemate coming in tomorrow so we have to be here to brief her regarding house rules or in case she needs anything. When we first came here in Singapore we're really surprised at how comfortable Pinoys are to let strangers in their house. They even leave their valuables like cellphone or laptop unattended while they're at work. Back home, it's a risky thing to let strangers in your house. You can't trust anyone these days either you'll end up getting robbed or worse case scenario, murdered by people you trusted because they aren't afraid of the law. I admire how people in SG have respect for the law. All my life I was accustomed to living in a country where criminals and thieves roam freely on the streets and I mean it with no disrespect, that's reality. I have no regrets that I am a Filipino and I'm proud of where came from but I'm just wondering why the Philippines can't be like SG where it's safe to go around even late at night, use your cellphone without fear that it might get snatched from you. Why is everything so organized here? why is everything seem so simple yet so difficult? Filipinos are very hardworking but we go elsewhere to search for a better life. 

I'll be leaving SG soon. I might come back or maybe not anymore but for sure I'll remember this country for all that they have that we don't like the cleanliness and safety. If only the Philippines can adapt the kind of discipline they have, I think we can do better.


No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...