Saturday, December 05, 2009

A Christmas Carol: Movie Review

I finally saw the movie adaptation of the much sought after novel A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens published in 1843. I thought this movie makes perfect sense during this time of the year when people are so consumed with material things they tend to forget the real essence of Christmas which is to let go of negativism as well as share the love. 


The tale opens with the death of miser Scrooge's business partner Jacob Marley. Seven years later, Marley's ghost appears before Scrooge warns him that his soul will be bearing heavy chains for eternity if he does not change his greedy ways and also predicts that a series of other ghosts will follow. Three Christmas ghosts visit Scrooge during the course of the night. First, the ghost of Christmas Past takes Scrooge to the scenes of his boyhood and youth which stir the old miser's gentle and tender side. The second spirit, the ghost of Christmas present, takes Scrooge to the home of his nephew Fred, to observe his game of yes and no and to the humble dwelling of his clerk Bob Cratchit to observe his christmas dinner. The third spirit, the ghost of Christmas future harrows Scrooge with dire visions of his future if he does not learn and act upon what he has witnessed. Scrooge was a changed man after that night, woke up in the morning with a whole new perspective of Christmas and life, treating his fellow men with kindness, generosity, compassion and gaining a reputation as a man who embodies the spirit of Christmas.


I liked the movie for 2 reasons: first, the movie experience is so real it's like I'm flying with Mr. Scrooge. Second, its moral values are very apt for both the young and old. Jim Carrey dubbed Ebenezer Scrooge's voice which is no surprise to me at all since he's such a versatile actor. It was a heart-warming movie especially for cold-hearted people I say. Change may have happened overnight for Mr. Scrooge but I doubt that'll work in real life. I think it's best to plant a good seed today to harvest a good fruit in the future. 


For more information about this movie visit: 


Hey, I got my early Christmas present from my sister yay! Cool.




No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...