Friday, February 01, 2008

A Nameless Soul

I was checking out GMA News Online when Howie Severino, a GMA News anchor's blog entitled "Death of A Cycling Companion" caught my attention. His blog talked about his bike ride conversation with activist/ex political detainee Ronald Sendrijas who's an heir of Francisco Dagohoy, the known hero from the province of Bohol. 

Howie recounts that when he met Ronald he had been released recently after spending time in prison for over two years for his rebel activities. Ronald was campaigning for a relative who was running for local office in his home town Inabanga, Bohol. He expressed his sentiments over activists nowadays that are just getting killed and put to jail unlike in the past they are honored with monuments. 

Howie wrote that Ronald was killed on his 35th birthday by an unidentified gunman on a motorcycle, another extrajudicial killing of activists. He was allegedly killed by an NPA.

After reading this, I asked myself what's happening to our country? There is indeed, a civil war that won't end.

No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...