Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My SSS UMID Application Experience

Hello September! Surprise me.


Hey, hey September! It's officially the start of "ber" months so before the year ends I decided to update all my membership records with Philhealth, Pag-Ibig (HDMF) and SSS (Social Security System). It's been over a decade since I got my SSS ID so I decided to keep my records up to date while I have some time to spare.


When I heard about the news five years ago that SSS will finally come up with a Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) which can be used to conduct business with these agencies (mentioned above including GSIS) I was ecstatic because this will definitely make life easier. SSS is the first agency to utilize the UMID system. I've been thinking about getting a new ID card but was too busy (and lazy)  to do so until somebody from HR (Human Resources) for the company I worked for suggested that I get the SSS UMID instead of Pag-Ibig ID because I told her about my plan of getting one when I drop by at the Pag-Ibig Fund office. 


The SSS Unified Multi-Purpose ID
I went to SSS office earlier and had things done in less than an hour (I think) with some help from the Information desk. Rule of thumb, if you don't know what to do, just ask because that's what I always do but also do a little bit of research before going there so you know what requirements to bring to avoid wasting your precious time. 


I booked an appointment online simply by logging on to my SSS account. The earliest available date is highlighted then it will ask for the reason for your appointment as well as your preferred time. Make sure to print out a copy of your confirmed appointment so you can just show it to the person in charge at the Information desk where you will get your queue number. A photocopy of my passport and TIN ID came handy as well as the accomplished copy of UMID card application form that's why I got things done in no time.  The last name on my old ID doesn't have an "enye" but I've used it for so many years I was surprised when the lady at the e-Ticket department asked me to to fill out 2 copies of the E4 form  to request for a last name change. I also had my home address updated because that is where the new card will be delivered. After updating my information I was asked to get the R6 form from the Information desk again and accomplish all 5 copies before going to the teller and pay the Php300 replacement card fee. Yes, there is a charge! For those people saying that it is free and that you will only pay if you lose your old card, it is not true at all because I asked someone from there. I still have my old card but once you decided to have it replaced you will pay for it regardless if you have a name change or not. Once paid I had my information double checked then I went ahead and have my picture taken where I was asked to remove my earrings and nose stud (it's required, no questions asked). Last but not least, I had my biometrics taken and was shocked when told that I had to wait 3-6 months for my new ID card to be delivered. I guess to keep my hopes up I was advised to follow up on the third month. I was like, seriously? 3-6 months is just way too long I think and I didn't see it coming I guess I have no choice but to just wait for it anyway.


That wraps up my SSS UMID application and I hope that the information I provided will help others who are looking to get their SSS ID updated. Just a heads up though, don't rely everything on what you read on the Internet because the experience is still the best teacher so when in doubt, just visit any SSS office near you. 


So there.




No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...