Wednesday, May 17, 2017

On Kurt Cobain's Death: Suicide or Murder?

Kurt Cobain


It's been 20 years since the death of Grunge rock icon Kurt Cobain but I still can't wrap my head around the conspiracies behind his untimely demise. Years passed I just came to accept that he must've just really killed himself because he can no longer handle being famous...so be it. 


I was in sophomore high school when I started playing the guitar and became a fan of Nirvana. I still recall that their three-chord pattern song All Apologies as one of the few songs I learned to strum on my guitar, it was simply melodious and the lyrics may not make any sense but for teenage souls trying to find their place in this world it was something extraordinary, a piece of poetry.  Hence, I fell in love with this band, with Kurt Cobain. I'm not ashamed to admit that up to this time, Kurt Cobain is still one of my ultimate celebrity crushes. Funny how it seems, while my generation of teens is growing up listening to pop, hip hop or r&b, I suddenly became fascinated with classic rock and began listening to the likes of Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Ramones, etc. I've always wanted to be different not to catch attention but because I'm happy with being myself. My dad is not a big fan of rock & roll so whenever I play rock music from my brother's tape collection, he'll say that all he can hear is noise so he'll turn the volume down but I'll turn it up again when he's no longer around. But compared to other teens my age, I was never rebellious. Whenever I feel angry or when I'm confused I find solace in rock music, it sort of has this calming effect on me. Teenage life has its ups and downs and maybe at one point or another, we all wanted to be just like Kurt Cobain, just not brave enough like him.  


Born Kurt Donald Cobain on February 20, 1967, in Aberdeen, Washington, he was just like any normal kid who enjoyed all the attention from his loving family until his parents' divorce takes its toll on him. Cobain's parents separated when he was only 9 years old, his mother stayed in Aberdeen with his sister while he stayed with his father and moved to Montesano, WA. His mother found a new partner so he made his father swore to him not to re-marry but eventually broke his promise that left him even more devastated. He moved from one place to another and turned to drugs and alcohol until he found an outlet to express his feelings through music. Cobain together with Krist Novoselic formed their band Nirvana in 1987, they went through a succession of drummers until Dave Grohl joined in  1990. Nirvana became one of the most popular rock bands during the late 80's up until Cobain's death in 1994. The rock & roll scene mourned the death of a truly great artist. He will be missed. I was heartbroken.


After 23 years, Cobain is still one of the most unforgettable artists that ever lived. If he was alive today he would've been 50 years old. My love for Nirvana and their music is unwavering, their album Unplugged in New York is in my Spotify playlist and still play it whenever I feel like remembering Kurt Cobain. Just recently while I was looking for something interesting to watch on Youtube, I came across the trailer of Kurt Cobain's documentary film Cobain: Montage of Heck. While glued to this video, more videos relating to Cobain's suicide and death started coming up. I found myself becoming slowly obsessed with Cobain's death. Clearly, his death remained questionable but how come nobody re-opened the investigation? Cobaincase.com recount the lies and inconsistencies surrounding his death. Another video entitled Who Killed Kurt Cobain Documentary, laid down facts that Cobain is not suicidal and have no intention of killing himself but his plans to divorce Courtney Love is a strong motive for her to plot his murder.  I was like, wtf? After all these years Courtney Love moved on with her life and their daughter Frances Bean grew up without her father and what happened to the possibility of foul play in his death? Cobain was merely a misunderstood young boy who grew up wanting to have another chance in life, unfortunately, it was ended prematurely by some lunatic woman who happened to be his wife. I feel sorry for him, he was used and left alone to die. 






His last words were: It's better to burn than fade away. I'm still hopeful that one day the truth will come out. Kurt Cobain may have been free from physical pain but as long as the truth remains in the dark, he will never be free.




Nirvana
Is never, nevermind 
All apologies
The truth is out there


- for Kurt -



No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...