Thursday, March 30, 2017

Thoughts on Ethical Tourism

March is coming to an end which means that my birthday month is just right around the corner, yay! It's still three weeks to go but I'm already excited about my twin sister and I's trip to Thailand. We are looking to visit Pattaya, a resort city located on the east coast of the Gulf of Thailand by the end of April during our birthday, not to get a tan but to do a lot of sightseeing. Pattaya is about an hour and a half drive from Bangkok. From Suvarnabhumi Airport, a taxi (that we booked in advance) will take us to our hotel in Pattaya where we'll be spending 3 days before we go back to Bangkok to spend 3 days as well. Whenever we travel I'm in charge of our daily itinerary, the places where we should go must be carefully thought out because I'm a little OC when it comes to these things I would never travel without a plan I'm just hoping that we can visit all the places that I have on our list. We're looking to visit Mini Siam, Art in Paradise, Ripley's Museum, The Sanctuary of Truth and many others. 


While I was doing my research about Thailand on Pinterest I came across this article about Ethical Tourism, I find it interesting and something worth knowing. So what exactly is Ethical Tourism? According to Google, Ethical Tourism is any form of tourism that can be consumed in a more responsible way which minimizes negative social, economic and environmental impacts. Generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities. 









In my understanding, being ethical is to be a responsible tourist, it does not involve anything that would tolerate cruelty or abuse to all living creatures including their habitats just for profit. For example, elephant riding for some tourists is considered a fun activity in Thailand. The whole travel experience would not be complete without riding an elephant or taking pictures with tigers and other exotic animals. I've been to a zoo as a kid but back then I have no idea what hell these animals are going through every day of their lives but growing up, I've seen a lot of documentaries and read about animal abuse in zoos and carnivals so I know that it is never entertaining to know that they are suffering just to make people happy. I swore to myself that I would never again tolerate animal abuse by paying for something that does not benefit these poor creatures.


Let's do these animals a favor. Ethical tourism is all about care and respect to all forms of life on earth because we share the same planet and we all deserve a life worth living.





No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...