Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Living With GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease)

It hasn't been a year since I had gallbladder surgery (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy) to remove my gallstones and just few months ago I complained of severe heartburn and was diagnosed with GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). GERD is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) the ring of muscle between the esophagus and stomach.

My gastroenterologist prescribed proton pump inhibitors (medicines that reduce the amount of stomach acid made by glands in the lining of the stomach) that I took for a week but to no avail so I requested to undergo endoscopy (a non-surgical procedure used to examine a person's digestive tract) and found out that I have H Pylori (a bacteria that enter your body and live in your digestive tract) in my stomach. I was advised to take proton pump inhibitors again and antibiotics for a month to kill the bacteria.


Quite frankly, my doctor told me that I have to live with Gerd for the rest of my life so I have to be watchful of my diet. Gerd sucks bigtime. Most people get envious whenever I tell them that I don't gain weight because I don't get hungry often but little did they know is that I am suffering from a digestive disorder that I have to be picky with what I eat because if I don't, I will suffer the consequences for eating the wrong food. Comfort food for the most part, is nothing but a discomfort to me like fast food, ice cream or just anything high on fat leaving a burning sensation on my tummy that extends all the way to my lower back.

I wonder why doctors always tell you that there is nothing to avoid when it comes to food, like everything is normal when they know for sure that anything could go wrong anytime. I guess it really is pay back time because when I was young I wasn't careful of what I feed my system. I consumed junk 90% of the time especially when I started working because I love food so much and I eat anything that makes me happy. I've been working for 12 years, I've gained some and lose some weight but I took the big leap 4 years ago when I decided to take control of my body and lose an incredible amount of weight. It seriously felt good being able to fit my old clothes again and started living healthy. However, it was still too late to save my gallbladder because my gallstone has been living inside my body for 10 years and I only found out about it last year. I guess I just have to get used to this whole Gerd thing. I don't want to be careful but if I want to live long, I have to. Sigh.


No comments:

Back at It: A Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I last sat down to write, and I've missed this more than I can express. Life has a way of throwing unex...